Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sopping Snickers

Every night at bedtime I read a chapter book to the girls. We finished my all time favorite children's book this week; The Boxcar Children. Husband thought he would give reading to the girls a try. His book choice; Treasure Island. After the first chapter The Belle and The May had to sleep together because The May couldn't stop thinking about Black Dog and his wooden leg. The Belle let us know last night that they would have to sleep together for at least another 38 nights since there are 39 chapters in the book! So, I decided we needed to change books. Treasure Island can wait a couple more years. After convincing The May that she really would love Charlotte's Web just as much as Treasure Island (if not more) we started it. Let me just say, it took some strong convincing; she REALLY wanted to read that book. Some of the language in classic children's literature is different. For example, they use words like queer to describe a noise or an expression on someone's face. My girls had no idea what that meant! My favorite explanation happened last night...

Fern is running through the wet grass and gets her sneakers sopping wet. I automatically think the girls won't know what sopping means. But, The Belle was quick to explain that sopping meant really wet so on we read. The Belle stopped me and said "why is her candy bar wet?". It took me a few seconds and then I realized she thought sneakers was snickers!!! The funny thing is that The Belle hasn't ever eaten a snickers because she doesn't like nuts and I'm really not sure when the last time she saw one was. Obviously, I have never referred to their tennis shoes and sneakers.
I just love how their minds think!!!

No comments: