Monday, March 31, 2008

The May starring as Shrek


Friday my bff Jessica came over with her kids. We took the kids to the park . While we were there The May was playing in the sand. She of course had her shoes off because she hates shoes. She started screaming and grabbing at her foot. Well, by the time I got to her she had stopped crying and I didn't see anything so we just kept playing. We then went to my moms to let the kids jump on her trampoline. That is when I noticed that The May was turning into Shrek right before my eyes. Her little ankle was beginning to swell and she had around 10 bites on it. I tried not to panic because she always reacts strangly to bites. Well fast forward to 4 hours later and now she has rash, hives, and her ankle is HUGE. After talking to the pediatrician and giving her some benadryl she went to bed. The next morning she had the same thing and was running a low grade fever. I called the pediatrician again and emailed her some pics of her ankle and the hives. I gave her more benadryl and put her to bed (which she could not sleep because apparently benadryl has a reverse effect on her). Her ankle is now back to normal. You would have never known that the girl had an allergic reaction to whatever bit her because she did not slow down one bit. I am worried about the future though because what if she gets stung or bit by something else and her throat begins to close. Then what will I do being stuck out here in the woods; 45 min away from a hospital. So at her 18 month appt. (which I need to make because she turned 18 months yesterday) I will ask if I can get an epi-pen just in case. It is very scary not knowing how she will react to something. I feel very uneasy taking her outside because who knows what might get a hold of her. So, tell me have any of you dealt with any kind of allergies and what do you do about it?

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Benadryl is really my cure all for allergies. Of course, the opposite sleep effect is tough. What about allergy shots?

By the way, I came here from One Fabulous Mom.