Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thumbs Out

I am very hesitant to post about this. But, I can't contain myself anymore. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since The Belle has sucked her thumb. I am so excited about this. The Belle began sucking her thumb religiously at 3 months old. She would take her pacifier out to put her thumb in. Eventually, she began to only suck her left thumb. I can't remember when she did this but I am pretty sure it was before her first birthday. I just knew that she would be one of those kids that sucked their thumb until they are like 10. I mean she was addicted! She has a huge callous on her thumb and her teeth were beginning to buck. From day one I said she would stop by her third birthday (which is next Thursday). I really was worrying about this until thank God she got a splinter in her left thumb. When I removed the splinter her thumb bled just a little so she just had to have a band-aid. That night she asked to suck her thumb and I told her she had a bo-bo. The girl has not put her thumb in since. Although, she is still wearing a band-aid and may be wearing it for a while. I have heard it takes 21 days to break a habit and we are just a few short days away from that so, I hope I'm not "jumping the gun" on this one. I really have to say God knew my heart and he answered my prayer. I know some of you may be thinking this is not a big deal but it was to me and I am so thankful this is almost past us. Now, I have to make her first dental appt. That will be a top priority on my prayer list. Does anyone have any tips on the first dental visit?

3 comments:

MommyJenn said...

I didn't do this for the first dentist appt, but I did it for the first eye doctor appt when Rosy was 5. We took an exploratory trip to the office about a week before the appt. We didn't look at any equipment or anything, but we checked out the building, met the receptionist, and took some pics with the digital camera so that she could show them to Daddy when we got home. This worked really well and she was very excited about her appt right up until they put eye drops in. Now she pretty much hates the eye doctor. Maybe it wss a waste of effort, or maybe it made it a little easier on her. Who knows?

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I went through the same thing breaking DD of her paci. As for the dentist, I took DD with me to my last one and just let her watch. They even let her sit in my lap. We go back together in June so we will see how it goes! Good luck!

justme said...

i did a post about the thumb sucking as my oldest (31/2) still does it ALOT. I actually am of the belief that if the dentist says no biggie then no biggie. she has been to the dentist twice and he says she has a slight overbite but nothing to worry bout. so i don't stop her. i figure if she had a blankie or lovey I wouldn't take that away, yes at this age i wouldn't have her hold them in public, and i will discourage thumb sucking during the day if she is being active. but i am all for her soothing herself when she needs it. sorry that probably doesn't help.